1. Purpose of This Notice. This notice provides guidance to Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Designated Airworthiness
RepresentativesMaintenance (DAR-T) and certain authorized Organization Designation Authorization (ODA) major repair, alteration, and airworthiness (MRA)
unit members on the interim training requirements currently contained in FAA Order
8100.8, Designee Management Handbook, and
FAA Order 8100.17, Field Approval
Delegation Handbook. Initial and recurrent training requirements can be determined by referencing the tables by your authorized functions.
Note: This guidance is considered to be supplemental to FAA orders and Federal regulations.
2. Audience. The primary audience for this notice is Flight Standards (AFS)-appointed DAR‑Ts and MRA unit members
conducting maintenance functions, as well as the FAA Airworthiness aviation safety inspectors (ASI) who manage these designees. The secondary audience includes
AFS branches and divisions in the regions and in headquarters (HQ).
4. Cancellation. Notice N 8900.367, New Location for DAR-T and ODA MRA Initial and Recurrent Training Requirements, dated June
16, 2016, is cancelled.
5. Policy Change. Initial and recurrent training requirements for DAR-Ts, MRA ODA unit members conducting airworthiness and
maintenance functions, and applicants for these appointments are currently found in
Order 8100.8 and Order
8100.17. Both orders will be phased out after
the complete implementation of the new Designee Management System (DMS). In preparation for the transition to DMS, the training requirements will now be
located at the following website:
6. Required Training. The website provides a table listing the required training for each authorized function held, or for
which application is being made. For recurrent training, the website also lists the maximum recurrent training interval.
7. Disposition. We will incorporate the information in this notice into FAA Order
8000.95, Designee Management Policy, in a change
which will coincide with the implementation of the DMS for maintenance designees and ODA unit members. Direct questions concerning the information in this notice
to the Designee Standardization Branch (AFS-640) at 405-954-6495.
ORIGINAL SIGNED by
/s/ John Barbagallo
Deputy Director, Flight Standards Service