1. PURPOSE. This order establishes a method of sending information to operators in a timely manner.
2. DISTRIBUTION. We will distribute this order to the division level in the Flight Standards Service in Washington headquarters; to the branch level in the regional Flight Standards divisions; to the International Field Offices (IFO), Flight Standards District Offices (FSDO), Certificate Management Offices (CMO), Aircraft Evaluation Groups (AEG) offices; and to the Regulatory Standards Division at the Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center.
3. AUTHORITY TO CHANGE THIS ORDER. The manager of the Air Transportation Division, AFS-200, may issue changes to this order as necessary to implement and manage INFOs.
4. DISCUSSION. Much like a Safety Alert for Operators (SAFO), which contains critical safety information, an Information for Operators (INFO) message contains valuable information for operators that should help them meet administrative requirements or certain regulatory requirements with relatively low urgency or impact in safety. INFOs contain information or a combination of information and recommended action to be taken by the respective operators identified in each individual INFO.
a. This order enables the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to redistribute valuable guidance material previously contained in a discontinued order regarding Air Carrier Operations Bulletins (ACOB). Much of that information remains valid today. Alternatively, an INFO may convey important, new information promptly as the information becomes available.
b. Significantly, INFOs do not burden FAA inspectors with responsibilities additional to those in their work programs and are not processed in accordance with the agreement between the FAA and its inspectors bargaining unit. The responsibility to implement any action recommended in an INFO rests with the operator.
c. We encourage FAA inspectors to become familiar with INFOs in general and pay particular attention to any INFO that applies to the operator(s) that he or she oversees.
5. AUDIENCE. INFO information will be added to the Air Transportation Oversight System Data Collection Tools (DCT), as required. Besides FAA inspectors, INFOs will initially address the following:
Air carrier certificate holders (particularly directors of safety (DOS) and directors of operations (DO)),
Fractional ownership program managers,
Training center managers,
Directors of maintenance,
Accountable managers at repair stations, and
Other parties, as applicable.
6. AVAILABILITY. We will post INFOs on an FAA public Web site maintained by the Flight Standards Service. The FAA does not distribute hard copies of individual INFOs. Any person desiring a hardcopy may download and print the desired material from the Web site, located at: http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/info. The FAA dates and categorically arranges INFOs, with the newest INFO shown first and the oldest shown last.
7. ANNOUNCEMENT OF INFOS. We will announce newly posted INFOs by e-mail notification to certain stakeholders in FAA headquarters, regional Flight Standards division and branch managers, and each AEG, CMO, FSDO, and IFO for further distribution within their offices.
ORIGINAL SIGNED BY
Roger C. Forshee, Jr. for
James J. Ballough
Director, Flight Standards Service