Meeting Minutes FAA/Aviation Industry OpSpec Working

Group (OSWG) 2003-03

(July 22 (Tuesday) 1 pm.

July 23 (Wednesday) 0800 am

Alaska Airlines Flight Operations & Training Center .

 

 

 

Day 1

I.              Meeting Schedule/Location

July 22-23, 2003

Alaska Airlines – SEA

October 21-22, 2003

AMTI (FAA) – Washington, DC

January 20-21, 2004

American Airlines - Dallas

April 27-28, 2004

ATA - Washington, DC

July 2004

Comair - CVG

 

II. NEXT MEETING. October 21 (Tuesday, 1 pm-5 pm)/22 (Wednesday, 8:30-noon), 2003—

FAA host (Washington, DC)

AMTI HQ, Floor 11

1515 Wilson Blvd ,

Arlington , VA

The list of hotels and their locations is available on the

http://www.opspecs.com website under the POLICY heading.

 

 

III.  NEW AGENDA ITEMS

-                Air Transport Association reorganization status - Jim McKie gave a quick review of the ATA reorganization.

-                Draft Order regarding cockpit doors – Tom Penland reiterated FAA’s current position based on TSA requirements. Discussion held outside OSWG meeting ??????.

-                RVR 500 takeoff minimums – the question regarding the authority to conduct RVR 500 takeoffs was asked.  The question was answered with a brief history or the RVR 500 saga and current status.

 

IV.  OPSPEC PARAGRAPHS DISCUSSIONS:

 

1.  OpSpec C050, Special PIC Qualification Airports—14 CFR Section 121.445 (new)

Discussion:  Tom Penland reviewed the proposed C50.  C50 will replace AC 121.445.  The list of special qualification airports will be maintained in FAA Order 8400.10.

 

Action:   All should members should review the C050 proposal and submit comments to http://www.opspecs.com/ by August 15, 2003. 

1a. OpSpec C067, Special Airports Authorizations, Provisions, and Limitations

Discussion:  Paragraph C067 and associated guidance is being revised.  A draft was not available at the meeting, however the draft HBAT was emailed to the OSWG membership shortly afterward.  Discussion at the meeting focused on the authorization of island reserves in C067.  Some CMOs already use to list destinations at which island reserves are authorized.

 

Action:   A draft HBAT C067 was posted to Opspecs.com on 7/30/03. All should members should review the draft HBAT for proposed C067 and submit comments to http://www.opspecs.com/ by August 15, 2003. 

 

2.  OpSpec B032, En Route Limitations and Provisions (Industry proposed revision)

Discussion:  John Cowan of UAL submitted a proposed revision to B032.  AFS-220 stated that the paragraph contains restrictions that are only eased by other paragraphs and that there will be no significant revision to this paragraph at the current time.

 

Action:   John Cowen provided a copy of his proposed change to Tom Penland.  Tom Penland agreed to take another look at the proposal.  Should be on the October agenda.

 

3.  OpSpec C058, Special Restrictions for Foreign Terminal Instrument Procedures

Discussion:  OSWG comments to Draft Order 8260.31 were presented to the Terminal Area Operations Aviation Rulemaking Committee (TAOARC) for review and recommended action. The TAOARC is coordinating conference calls with the FAA and OSWG representative to discuss and work issues with the draft.  OSWG reps will track the status of the draft and report on any changes in concert with the TAOARC.

 

Action:   OSWG reps to the TAOARC, Jim Johnson, Casey Seabright and Jim Enias, will participate in telecons to provide the OSWG point of view and concerns.  They will report status at next meeting.  If other members have concerns, please contact one of them

 

4.  OpSpec C059/C359, CAT II Approach Authorization

Discussion:  Jackson Seltzer raised the question of lighting equivalents, i.e. allowing a CAT II using MALSR.  Inoperative component order 6750.24D authorizes the substitution of SALSR with MALSR, why not authorize it in C059?  According to AFS-400:  “SALSR (and especially SALS) is not an ICAO Annex 14 compliant configuration for an approach lighting system which supports CAT II operations promulgated under 14 CFR Part 97.  I don't know what the basis for change to the order was, but if it is substantiated that the change in revision D is acceptable, the U.S. will have to file a notification of differences with the ICAO.

 

In regards to using a MALSR for CAT II operations at foreign locations, as I stated above, anything other than an ALSF-2 type of configuration, is not ICAO Annex 10 compliant and I would be surprised to see a MALSR installed at a foreign location other that a U.S. sponsored facility.  This Ops Spec change needs to be examined.”

 

Action:  Jackson Seltzer will provide update/report at the October 2004 meeting.

DRAFT coordination document is on opspecs.com website for All Weather Ops update to 8400.10, C059, and C359 until August 22, 2003.  Please be sure to review and provide your comments.

 

5.  CRAF Deviations

Discussion:  Connie Streeter reported that operations into Iraq are still prohibited and that the SFAR is still in effect.

 

Action:   Closed

 

6.  E096, Weight and Balance

Discussion:  Tom Penland reported that E096 is being spilt into 3 separate paragraphs. Draft to be provided at a later date

 

Action:   Tom Penland to supply draft.

 

7.  OpSpec A012, Part 121 Domestic Operations to Certain Airports Outside the 48 Contiguous States (revised). 

Discussion: A clarification was provided by Tom Penland for Alaska Airlines concerns. 

 

Action:  Other guidance relative to OpSpec A012 needs to be clarified….look for a draft revision to guidance on OpSpecs.com by October meeting.

 

8.  OpSpec B045/B054, Single Long Range Comm/Nav

Discussion:  Jackson Seltzer (COA) reported that the geographical area defined in paragraphs B045 and B054 do not correspond to the NY FIR/WATRS airspace. Jackson also questioned the logic of “30 minute gap” in B045 and the reasoning behind this. Exemption 2081 is the original documentation which defined the requirements for this authorization.  The preamble to incorporation of the exemption into the revision to 14 CFR Section 121.351 also lays the foundation for the 30-minute gap.  Jackson Seltzer asked if we can address the area authorized for Single LRCS in Extended Overwater Operations?  This area currently contains the Gulf of Mexico which is now covered by VHF frequencies for Houston Oceanic, and Merida radio.  Additionally NY ARINC has VHF coverage across the gulf for air carrier communication with company dispatch.

 

Action:   Connie Streeter followed up on geographical areas--The OpSpec paragraph contains exactly the same geographic areas as the original exemption 2081—which was the intent of the FAA.  Jackson to research 30 minute question and report at next meeting. Gordy Rother to provide group (electronically) with information from ARINC regarding VHF coverage.

 

9.  OpSpec C089/C090,  RNP RNAV Instrument Approaches

Discussion:  Jackson Seltzer and Jim Enias provided a proposal to incorporate RNAV RNP authorization as a selectable item in paragraph C052.  A draft of the proposed addition to C052 was distributed for review.

 

Action:  The group should review the proposal and present comments at OSWG 2003-04.


 

Day 2

 

10.  OSWG Spec Review

Discussion:  The OSWG Spec was reviewed word by word.  Major items of discussion were:

Annual Progress Report – Members suggested the OSWG Industry Chairman submit an annual progress report to AFS-1 outlining the accomplishments of the OSWG as well as any impediments to progress on significant issues.

 

OSWG Industry/FAA Lead Assingment – Several members felt the ops spec lead assignments have become irrelevant.  This list changes frequently and becomes outdated as new issues on specific paragraphs occur.  It was suggested that a database be created and updated after each meeting to track the status and lead of each paragraph.

 

Action:  Connie Streeter, Casey Seabright, and Jim Johnson to review suggestions and report at next meeting.

 

11. A501/D106, Liability Insurance Suspension for Seasonal Operations or Aircraft in Long Term Storage or Long Term Maintenance

Discussion:  FAA focal: Darcy Reed, AFS-330.  These new paragraphs provide liability insurance relief to the seasonal operators (A501) and for those that were putting aircraft into long term storage. 

 

ACTION:    The bulletin with guidance was released July 7, 2003 and is available on http://www.opspecs.com/ the OPSS guidance subsystem.  Closed

 

12.  A010,  Aeronautical Weather Information

Discussion:  Information regarding Quality Internet Providers (QICP) can be found on the following website:

homepage

http://www2.faa.gov/ats/ars/qicp/

 

list of approved QICPs

http://www2.faa.gov/ats/ars/qicp/list%20of%20qicp.html

 

Questions of when a QICP is required and need for such information due to the ambiguity of guidance. 

 

Action:  Jim Johnson to follow up with Met Committee on past discussions regarding this paragraph.

 

13.  A025, Electronic Recordkeeping/Electronic Flight Bag

Discussion:  OpSpec A025 was revised to add a new subparagraph b for the approval of the electronic flight bag.  There will also be a title change and a change in A004 statement.  NOTE:  Until the technical problem is resolved, the Table of Contents will still show the old title and the title in the paragraph will be correct.  AC 120-76A, GUIDELINES FOR THE CERTIFICATION, AIRWORTHINESS, AND OPERATIONAL APPROVAL OF ELECTRONIC FLIGHT BAG COMPUTING DEVICES, has been signed.

 

Action:  Closed

 

14. B039/B059, MNPS-Santa Maria FIR, ICAO Annex 6

Discussion:  Connie Streeter reported that OpSpec authorization for Canadian MNPS will probably be made a separate authorization in the part 135 DB and maybe a selectable option in B059.  This is because there are part 135 operators that need only the Canadian MNPS authorization and not the NAT/MNPS.

 

AFS-800 and AFS-400 are now actively engaged in getting the Part 91 regulation changed to show the correct boundaries of the NAT/MNPS with the addition of the Santa Maria FIR.

Action:  Connie Streeter…MNPS OpSpec B039 needs to be revised to remove the MNPS boundary discrepancy.  Look for a draft soon…will be on opspecs.com and also sent to the OSWG members on email for review.  Will not change existing requirements.

 

15.  C066, Turbojet Airplane Takeoff Operations in Tailwind Conditions Not to Exceed 15 Knots

Discussion:    What are the reasons for additional restrictions for 15 kt tailwind takeoff authorization.  AFM performance penalties are already restrictive.  Chuck Schramek has nothing further to report at this time.

 

Action: Chuck Schramek to report on follow-up with FAA performance specialists, Glenn Dail and Don Stimson.

 

16.  C074, CAT I

Discussion:    Jim Winkleman raised a question about the requirements in order 8400.13 versus paragraph C074.  The order allows landing to RVR 1800 without TDZ and CL with flight director, however C074 does not.  Jim also proposed removing the table in C074 which list specific runways authorized for these operations.  It was reported that Connie Streeter, Jim Winkleman, and Casey Seabright met with Lyle Wink to discuss the guidance in the revised Order 8400.13 and a re-write of the paragraph and handbook guidance. The approved airports would be published as Part 97 SIAP’s and would not require each individual carrier to demonstrate autoland to these runways. The change would also allow the approaches to be conducted via autocouple or flight director to 50 feet below DH. rsus paragraph C074.  The order allows landing to RVR 1800 without TDZ and CL with flight director, however C074 does not.  Jim also proposed removing the table in C074 which list specific runways authorized for these operations.  It was reported that Connie Streeter, Jim Winkleman, and Casey Seabright met with Lyle Wink to discuss the guidance in the revised Order 8400.13 and a re-write of the paragraph and handbook guidance. The approved airports would be published as Part 97 SIAP’s and would not require each individual carrier to demonstrate autoland to these runways. The change would also allow the approaches to be conducted via autocouple or flight director to 50 feet below DH. d a re-write of the paragraph and handbook guidance. The approved airports would be published as Part 97 SIAP’s and would not require each individual carrier to demonstrate autoland to these runways. The change would also allow the approaches to be conducted via autocouple or flight director to 50 feet below DH.

 

Action:  Lyle Wink is moving forward with the harmonization initiative to allow RVR 1800 minimums without TDZ and CL to be published as “Standard” instrument approach procedures which would eliminate the list of approved airports from the OpSpec paragraph. Jim Winkleman and Casey Seabright are assisting Connie Streeter in the re-write of the paragraph and supporting guidance.  Table of approved runways will be removed when the paragraph is revised.

 

 

 

17.  D399, Maintenance Program For Lower Landing Minima (LLM) Operations—Archived

Discussion: Connie Streeter reported that the maintenance division agreed there is no requirement for this paragraph but the following statement will be inserted into paragraphs C059 and C060 when a revision is made:  The certificate holder must maintain the aircraft and equipment listed in Table X in accordance with its approved lower landing minimums continuous maintenance program.”

 

Action: OpSpec D399 has been archived. Reference to the LLM Maintenance Program is being incorporated into the HB guidance for CAT II and eventually for CAT III—along with the guidance for C061 and C062.  Closed